From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] root (/) read-only?
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 13:42:07
1 On Tuesday 27 September 2005 21:24, Uwe Thiem wrote:
2 > On 27 September 2005 14:00, James Hiscock wrote:
3 > > On 9/27/05, glumtail <glumtail@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > > This happens offen in my system.
5 > > >
6 > > > My root filesystem is reiserfs and /home is ext3, when i extract tar
7 > > > packages it says it is a readonly filesystem.
8 > >
9 > > Fix your /etc/fstab - it thinks your root partition is xfs, when it
10 > > isn't. You either: a) didn't change it during installation; or b)
11 > > overwrote it in a recent update.
12 >
13 > Since his root filesystem is read-only, he needs a bit more help I guess
14 > because he can't simply use his favourite editor to edit fstab. Well, he
15 > can but he can't write the changes to his harddisk. ;-)
16 >
17 > You boot from a live cd (any actually). If it is a gentoo live cd you mount
18 > your root partition under /mnt/gentoo. If it is some other cd you have to
19 > find out where to mount. Now you cd to /mnt/gentoo/etc and edit fstab.
20 > Write it back and reboot the box without cd.
21
22 Or from the running read-only system:
23
24 # mount -t reiserfs -o remount,rw /dev/xdx# /
25
26 The type and/or block device may not even be necessary.
29 Jason Stubbs
30 --
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list