From: Glenn Enright <elinar@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Regular user can't offload usb camera`
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 00:08:43
1 On Friday 30 December 2005 06:43, Gerhard Hoogterp wrote:
2 > I had something alike and found that the hotplug script was looking
3 > for /var/run/console/console.lock to see who owned the console (and to use
4 > this info to chown the usbfile)
5 >
6 > You can easily check if you have the same problem: disconnect the camera,
7 > become root on the commandline and use
8 >
9 > cat loginname > /var/run/console/console.lock
10 >
11 > (so if you're logged in as michael use
12 > cat michael > /var/run/console/console.lock
13 > )
14 >
15 > Plug in the camera and try to download the photo's. If it now works, you
16 > have the same problem which I had (and which has to do I think with
17 > pam_console which is a flag for emerging pam)
18 >
19 > Anyhow, as I got bored to create the lockfile every time I just "fixed"
20 > the /etc/hotplug/usb/usbcam to use my name whenever it couldn't find a lock
21 > file.. Somewhat ugly, but oh well..
22 >
23 > Hope this helps..
24 > Gerhard
25 >
26 > --
27 > Ithaka photography, http://ithaka.mine.nu/
28
29 This link may be helpful to those still looking at this...
30 http://www.gphoto.org/doc/manual/permissions-usb.html
33 Finally, Zippy drives his 1958 RAMBLER METROPOLITAN into the faculty
34 dining room.
35 --
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list