From: Gerhard Hoogterp <gerhard@×××××××××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Regular user can't offload usb camera`
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 17:51:42
1 On Thursday 29 December 2005 18:28, Christoph Eckert wrote:
2 > Hi Michael,
3 >
4 > > My personal account (michael) cannot offload pictures from my usb
5 > > digital camera - only root can do it.  michael is in the usb group.
6 > > There used to be a file called /etc/security/console.perms which
7 > > allowed the michael user to offload pictures, but it's gone now.  How
8 > > can I make it where I don't have to su to root just to offload
9 > > pictures?
10 >
11 > the same happens here since I did an emerge --update world
12 >
13 > Before, normal users have been allowed to get pics via gphoto2 on the
14 > command line or even via the KDE protocol camera:/.
15 >
16 > Since the update, only root can get the images. I'm sure it's a
17 > permission problem, but I don't know where to look first.
18
19 I had something alike and found that the hotplug script was looking
20 for /var/run/console/console.lock to see who owned the console (and to use
21 this info to chown the usbfile)
22
23 You can easily check if you have the same problem: disconnect the camera,
24 become root on the commandline and use
25
26 cat loginname > /var/run/console/console.lock
27
28 (so if you're logged in as michael use
29 cat michael > /var/run/console/console.lock
30 )
31
32 Plug in the camera and try to download the photo's. If it now works, you have
33 the same problem which I had (and which has to do I think with pam_console
34 which is a flag for emerging pam)
35
36 Anyhow, as I got bored to create the lockfile every time I just "fixed"
37 the /etc/hotplug/usb/usbcam to use my name whenever it couldn't find a lock
38 file.. Somewhat ugly, but oh well..
39
40 Hope this helps..
41 Gerhard