From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Is VLAN configuration manual section up to date?
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 14:59:05
1 On 2014-02-05, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 4 February 2014 22:27:03 CET, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >>Are the VLAN configuration docs up to date?
5 >>
6 >>http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=4&chap=3#doc_chap10
7 >>
8 >>The reason I ask is that the Gentoo docs talk about using vconfig,
9 >>while other distros have dropped vconfig and now use the ip2route
10 >>packages 'ip' command instead:
11 [...]
12 >>Does Gentoo not have issues with udev trying to automagically rename
13 >>vlan network interfaces as described in the Arch Linux page?
14
15 > I disabled the udev device name randomizer to ensure I keep the eth*
16 > names. (I use bonding for the interfaces, don't care about the names
17 > as long as they all end up in the same bond)
18
19 Rather than bond them together, I'm going to use them as separate
20 interfaces. I'm looking for a way to have 8 to 16 Ethernet interfaces
21 on some cheap old desktop machines. Connecting the motherboard
22 Ethernet interface to an external managed VLAN switch seems like the
23 way to go. So I do care what the names are -- we'll see what tricks
24 udev tries to play.
25
26 > For the VLANs, I used the examples in the net.example file in the
27 > document folder. It's somewhere in /usr/doc/net..../ (I think. No
28 > access to a gentoo install atm)
29
30 Ah, found it:
31
32 /usr/share/doc/netifrc-0.1/net.example.bz2
33
34 > I think the documentation you pointed at is out-of-date as I don't
35 > have to do it like that.
36
37 Thanks, that's what I suspected.
40 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! ... I want FORTY-TWO
41 at TRYNEL FLOATATION SYSTEMS
42 gmail.com installed within SIX AND A
43 HALF HOURS!!!