From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Maybe OT]: Instability of system
Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 09:08:52
1 On Monday, 21 May 2018 01:20:21 BST Dale wrote:
2 > Adam Carter wrote:
3 > > On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 8:35 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com
4 > >
5 > > <mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>> wrote:
6 > > Alan Mackenzie wrote:
7 > > > Hello, Gentoo.
8 > > >
9 > > > I'm having problems with my machine hanging or rebooting
10 > >
11 > > spontaneously.
12 > >
13 > > > It's doing this, perhaps, every three or four weeks. I think
14 > >
15 > > that when
16 > >
17 > > > I'm in X, the system usually reboots, when I'm on a tty, it hangs.
18 > > >
19 > > > This phenomenon has, up till now, been just below the level at which
20 > > > it's annoying enough to do something about. But my machine just
21 > >
22 > > hung on
23 > >
24 > > > me a few minutes ago, and now it's definitely reached tha threshold
25 > > > where spending effort fixing it seems justified.
26 > > >
27 > > > My actual Gentoo installation is fine, in fact, so good that
28 > >
29 > > I've not
30 > >
31 > > > needed to post to the list for a long time. :-)
32 > > >
33 > > > My system is an AMD Ryzen processor on an Asus Prime X370-Pro
34 > >
35 > > mainboard,
36 > >
37 > > > and is just over a year old. I don't think my RAM is unstable
38 > >
39 > > (though
40 > >
41 > > > it's been a long time since I've run that RAM checking program).
42 > >
43 > > I ran memory checking overnight on my unstable (segfaults) AMD 8350
44 > > system, but no issues were found. Underclocking the RAM to the next
45 > > lowest speed completely addressed the issue. If i get keen i may
46 > > re-visit the RAM timing to see if it can be made to run stable at the
47 > > nominal frequency with more conservative settings on the other parameters.
48 > >
49 > > If the firmware hasnt fixed it, the underclocking is cheap test, but
50 > > yeah power supplies seem to be problematic. I always buy branded ones,
51 > > but even then only had mediocre results.
52 >
53 > In the past, I've had bad ram test OK with those tests. When those
54 > tests say ram is bad, it seems to always be accurate but sometimes it
55 > doesn't catch a bad stick. I don't know if it doesn't test the whole
56 > thing or what. I read somewhere that it sets aside a certain amount of
57 > ram for the test program itself, after all it has to be in memory to
58 > run, so it doesn't test that part. So, even tho it says they are good,
59 > it may not be certain. It would make me consider other causes tho.
60 > I've only had that happen a couple times.
61 >
62 > I'd run at the default settings first. If it still does it, then you
63 > can go back to your custom settings after you fix the problem. I
64 > thought about overclocking at one time but for what I do, it doesn't
65 > really matter much. My puter spends most of its time waiting on me not
66 > the other way around. I guess if someone has their system doing some
67 > number crunching, foldingathome or something then it may matter more.
68 >
69 > I have Thermaltake power supplies here. It's not the best out there for
70 > sure but it is in spec and reasonable price wise. Some of those el
71 > cheapos are cheap for a reason. I bought a case once that came with
72 > one. I only paid like $50.00 for the whole thing. Given a bare case
73 > that was close usually costs around $40.00 at the time, they couldn't
74 > have spent much on the P/S. I removed it first thing and put in a
75 > proper P/S. The el cheapo made a good paper weight tho. The best
76 > insurance tho is one that someone has tested. You can still get one bad
77 > out of the box but it gives you better odds for sure.
78 >
79 > Dale
80 >
81 > :-) :-)
82
83 I've had firmware updates causing problems like this (on Asus) only to be
84 corrected with the next firmware update. If with default settings your RAM is
85 playing up, update the firmware and check again. I tend to knock back the
86 DRAM timings a bit on O/C'ed boards and this helps with stability. It goes
87 without saying if default settings give you an unstable system, you should not
88 try overclocking it. :-)
89
90 PS. I use Corsair PSUs and always spend more on them to make sure it is not
91 the cheapest model. A middle of the range modular unit comes with Japanese
92 capacitors and has not caused me problems in various builds. In cheaper
93 models I've ended up replacing the capacitors without waiting for the PSU to
94 fail first - cheap PSUs always fail on me at the end.
95 --
96 Regards,
97 Mick