From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Maybe OT]: Instability of system
Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 00:20:32
1 Adam Carter wrote:
2 > On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 8:35 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com
3 > <mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>> wrote:
4 >
5 > Alan Mackenzie wrote:
6 > > Hello, Gentoo.
7 > >
8 > > I'm having problems with my machine hanging or rebooting
9 > spontaneously.
10 > > It's doing this, perhaps, every three or four weeks.  I think
11 > that when
12 > > I'm in X, the system usually reboots, when I'm on a tty, it hangs.
13 > >
14 > > This phenomenon has, up till now, been just below the level at which
15 > > it's annoying enough to do something about.  But my machine just
16 > hung on
17 > > me a few minutes ago, and now it's definitely reached tha threshold
18 > > where spending effort fixing it seems justified.
19 > >
20 > > My actual Gentoo installation is fine, in fact, so good that
21 > I've not
22 > > needed to post to the list for a long time.  :-)
23 > >
24 > > My system is an AMD Ryzen processor on an Asus Prime X370-Pro
25 > mainboard,
26 > > and is just over a year old.  I don't think my RAM is unstable
27 > (though
28 > > it's been a long time since I've run that RAM checking program).
31 > I ran memory checking overnight on my unstable (segfaults) AMD 8350
32 > system, but no issues were found. Underclocking the RAM to the next
33 > lowest speed completely addressed the issue. If i get keen i may
34 > re-visit the RAM timing to see if it can be made to run stable at the
35 > nominal frequency with more conservative settings on the other parameters.
36 >
37 > If the firmware hasnt fixed it, the underclocking is cheap test, but
38 > yeah power supplies seem to be problematic. I always buy branded ones,
39 > but even then only had mediocre results.
42 In the past, I've had bad ram test OK with those tests.  When those
43 tests say ram is bad, it seems to always be accurate but sometimes it
44 doesn't catch a bad stick.  I don't know if it doesn't test the whole
45 thing or what.  I read somewhere that it sets aside a certain amount of
46 ram for the test program itself, after all it has to be in memory to
47 run, so it doesn't test that part.  So, even tho it says they are good,
48 it may not be certain.  It would make me consider other causes tho.
49 I've only had that happen a couple times.
50
51 I'd run at the default settings first.  If it still does it, then you
52 can go back to your custom settings after you fix the problem.  I
53 thought about overclocking at one time but for what I do, it doesn't
54 really matter much.  My puter spends most of its time waiting on me not
55 the other way around.  I guess if someone has their system doing some
56 number crunching, foldingathome or something then it may matter more.
57
58 I have Thermaltake power supplies here.  It's not the best out there for
59 sure but it is in spec and reasonable price wise.  Some of those el
60 cheapos are cheap for a reason.  I bought a case once that came with
61 one.  I only paid like $50.00 for the whole thing.  Given a bare case
62 that was close usually costs around $40.00 at the time, they couldn't
63 have spent much on the P/S.  I removed it first thing and put in a
64 proper P/S.  The el cheapo made a good paper weight tho.  The best
65 insurance tho is one that someone has tested.  You can still get one bad
66 out of the box but it gives you better odds for sure.
67
68 Dale
69