From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: SVGA mode & the console
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 21:48:20
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 18:03 on Tuesday 04 January 2011, Paul Hartman
2 did opine thusly:
3
4 > On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 5:22 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
5 > > On 01/03/2011 10:23 PM, Paul Hartman wrote:
6 > >> On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 2:07 PM, Nikos Chantziaras<realnc@×××××.de>
7 wrote:
8 > >>> uvesafb will not give you extra resolutions. It will however allow you
10 > >>> use non-default refresh-rates which is sometimes useful with CRT
11 > >>> monitors.
12 > >>>
13 > >>> But it has a drawback too: it needs a userspace tool and resolution is
14 > >>> switched too late during the boot process, meaning until it loads
15 > >>> you'll be
16 > >>> seeing the kernel boot in 80x25 mode (which in turn means no boot
17 > >>> graphics/logo right from the start.)
18 > >>
19 > >> I use uvesafb and I can see Tux (eight of him) during my boot process
20 > >> before uvesafb kicks in.
21 > >
22 > > I mean more something like this when I say "boot logo":
23 > >
24 > > http://mjanusz.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/shot.png
25 > >
26 > > It's at least 10 years since I saw that default Tux boot thingy :-P But
27 > > anyway, if uvesafb hasn't kicked in yet, what on earth is drawing that
28 > > Tux?
29 >
30 > Ah-ha, I think that's bootsplash (which I'm not using). I've only
31 > seen it on a Live CD. :)
32 >
33 > In my kernel config I have enabled VESA framebuffer as well as
34 > userspace framebuffer (uvesafb), and I enabled "Bootup Logo". So maybe
35 > what happens is that VESA framebuffer starts immediately into some
36 > default resolution, I see eight Tuxs (Tuxes?), then shortly thereafter
37 > the uvesafb kicks in and video mode changes to the one I specified. At
38 > least that's how it seems to happen. I reboot so rarely that I never
39 > gave it much thought.
42 It's the VESA framebuffer that does it, nothing to do with bootsplash.
43
44 Look at the help text for CONFIG_FB_VESA in menuconfig.
48 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com