From: Hal Martin <hal.martin@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UPS recommendation
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 20:25:31
1 Arthur Britto wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2008-05-11 at 10:15 -0700, maxim wexler wrote:
3 >
4 >> I did a search for UPS units and was overwhelmed by the diversity out there.
5 >>
6 >> What can the group recommend?
7 >>
8 >> I only need something that will give me about a minute's head start to safely turn of the box.
11 > You likely want more than a minute. Most likely, you don't want your
12 > system to crash when coming back up when power fails soon after it is
13 > restored: your system could be in the middle of a fsck. Generally, you
14 > want enough capacity to: power off, power on, and then power off safely.
15 >
16 True, but I find the main purpose of my UPS is to keep the computer
17 running throughout a short power-outage. That's what happens 90% of the
18 time, the other 10% of the time, the power outage lasts longer than the
19 UPS and it shuts the computer down.
20 > I am very happy with the CyberPower Intelligent LCD Series: CP*AVRLCD
21 > http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/
22 >
23 > The series has:
24 >
25 > NUT support:
26 > You want something that works with NUT. Instead of a vendor specific
27 > package. This way your acquired skills are portable and future proofed.
28 > Network UPS Tools
29 > http://eu1.networkupstools.org
30 > NUT is great. It safely powers off my system when the UPS is low.
31 > Additionally, I set it up to e-mail my cell phone when the power state
32 > changes. If I go out during a power outage, I can stay out longer if I
33 > know the power is not restored.
34 >
35 Didn't know that existed. It has really good UPS support too. Guess I
36 can buy something other than an APC.
37 > USB interface:
38 > * A USB port is more future proof: serial ports are becoming rare.
39 > * Allows monitoring UPS state.
40 > * Allows powering off the UPS.
41 >
42 > LCD Display:
43 > At a touch know:
44 > * power consumption (don't need to pull out a Kill-O-Watt)
45 > * battery charge
46 > * estimated minutes remaining
47 >
48 How much do you think this draws? Does it have any negative effect on
49 backup time?
50 > One thing to be wary of is like most inexpensive UPSes it does not
51 > provide a pure sine wave. This can damage a power supply that has
52 > active power factor correction. Luckily for my Silencer 750 Quad
53 > according to the manufacturer due to the short time in which the UPS is
54 > in use it is not an issue.
55 >
56 Could this be why my computer makes this horrific buzzing noise when on
57 the UPS?
58
59 I have an APC XS800, the PSU is a Seasonic 330W with Active PFC.
60 > -Arthur
63 -Hal
64 --
65 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list