From: Arthur Britto <ahbritto@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UPS recommendation
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 20:36:30
1 On Sun, 2008-05-11 at 16:35 -0400, Hal Martin wrote:
2 > Arthur Britto wrote:
3 > > You likely want more than a minute. Most likely, you don't want your
4 > > system to crash when coming back up when power fails soon after it is
5 > > restored: your system could be in the middle of a fsck. Generally, you
6 > > want enough capacity to: power off, power on, and then power off safely.
7 > >
8 > True, but I find the main purpose of my UPS is to keep the computer
9 > running throughout a short power-outage. That's what happens 90% of the
10 > time, the other 10% of the time, the power outage lasts longer than the
11 > UPS and it shuts the computer down.
12
13 I should have written "At a minimum". More to the point, the threshold
14 at which you first shut your computer down should leave enough battery
15 capacity for you to safely power up and down again.
16
17 My usual advice also includes:
18 * Do not run a system without a UPS, if you want a stable system.
19 * Having a UPS appears to increase disk life.
20 * Do not plug a surge suppressor into a UPS.
21 * Get the largest capacity UPS you can comfortably afford.
22
23 -Arthur
27 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list