From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mysqld invoked oom-killer
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 02:20:37
1 On Thursday, July 21 at 18:43 (-0700), Grant said:
2
3 > If I understand correctly, an out-of-memory condition that would lock
4 > up a system without swap, will cause it to thrash with swap. A remote
5 > system of mine was locked up for many hours due to running out of
6 > memory without swap. If I had enabled swap, the system would have
7 > thrashed for those hours?
8
9 It really depends. The rule of thumb is, if your disk is thrashing or
10 you are getting ooms/locks then you need more RAM (or less memory-hungry
11 processes).