From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mysqld invoked oom-killer
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 01:44:25
1 >> So swap isn't treated exactly like RAM.  It actually has special
2 >> handling in Linux which makes it beneficial to have on almost any
3 >> Linux system?  According to Alan, things get very bad when a Linux
4 >> system hits swap.  How can behavior like this be beneficial:
5 >>
6 >> "When a linux machine hits swap, it does so very aggressively, there
7 >> is nothing nice about it at all. The entire machine slows to a
8 >> painstaking crawl for easily a minute at a time while the kernel
9 >> writes pages out to disk, and disk is thousands of times slower than
10 >> RAM.
11 >>
12 > This is not entirely true.  There's regular swapping and there is
13 > "thrashing".  Thrashing is indicative of a memory-starved system, i.e.
14 > when many processes are trying to access memory, but there just isn't
15 > enough and the system is frantically swapping in/out.  I'm talking about
16 > your normal day-to-day swapping that you probably don't even notice.
17 >
18 >> It gets so bad that you can't even run a shell properly to try and see
19 >> what's going on and kill the actual memory hog."
20 >
21 > Again, that is thrashing.  I'm talking about "normal" swappage.  Dont
22 > throw the baby out with the bath water.
23 >
24 >> Also, aren't you likely to wear out your hard disk sooner using swap?
25 >
26 > Is this coming from someone who uses Gentoo linux, which is constantly
27 > downloading/compiling/linking object files?   Syslog and other loggers
28 > writing everything under the sun to a log file.  Backups, journal
29 > writes, database transactions, etc.  Compare how many disk transactions
30 > take place during your normal Gentoo usage versus a few megabytes
31 > here/there being swapped in/out.  Again, I'm talking about regular
32 > swapping, not "oh my god I has no RAM and my hard drive won't stop"
33 > Even so, we're talking about modern drives here.  This isn't the 1960s.
34
35 If I understand correctly, an out-of-memory condition that would lock
36 up a system without swap, will cause it to thrash with swap. A remote
37 system of mine was locked up for many hours due to running out of
38 memory without swap. If I had enabled swap, the system would have
39 thrashed for those hours?
40
41 - Grant