From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: my 5.15.93 kernel keeps rebooting
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 14:50:37
1 On 2023-02-14, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > Where are you getting this from, the system log/journal? This doesn't
4 > seem like a clean shutdown, so if it is a kernel PANIC I wouldn't
5 > expect the most critical info to be in the log (since it will stop
6 > syncing to protect the filesystem). The details you need probably
7 > will be displayed on the console briefly. You can also enable a
8 > network console, which will send the dmesg output continuously over
9 > UDP to another device. This won't be interrupted by a PANIC unless
10 > there is some issue with the hardware or networking stack.
11
12 If you've got a serial port[1], you could also set up serial
13 logging. Though using serial ports have become a bit of a lost art,
14 the serial console code in the kernel is pretty carefully designed to
15 be the last man standing when things start to die. It's possible
16 (though I wouldn't say probable) that a serial console will be able to
17 show you stuff closer to the event horizon than a network console can.
18
19 Anyway, since still I'm in the serial port business (yes, there are
20 still plenty of people using serial ports in industrial settings) I
21 had to mention it...
22
23 [1] For this purpose you want a plain old UART on the motherboard type
24 seial port. You'd be surprised how many motherboards still have
25 them. Even though they're never brought out to a DB9 connector on
26 the back panel, there's often an 8-pin header on the edge of the
27 board somewhere, so you'd need one of these:
28
29 https://www.amazon.com/C2G-27550-Adapter-Bracket-Motherboards/dp/B0002J27R8/
33 Grant