From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: my 5.15.93 kernel keeps rebooting
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 11:50:36
1 On Wed, 15 Feb 2023 09:50:27 -0500,
2 Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >
4 > On 2023-02-14, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
5 >
6 > > Where are you getting this from, the system log/journal? This doesn't
7 > > seem like a clean shutdown, so if it is a kernel PANIC I wouldn't
8 > > expect the most critical info to be in the log (since it will stop
9 > > syncing to protect the filesystem). The details you need probably
10 > > will be displayed on the console briefly. You can also enable a
11 > > network console, which will send the dmesg output continuously over
12 > > UDP to another device. This won't be interrupted by a PANIC unless
13 > > there is some issue with the hardware or networking stack.
14 >
15 > If you've got a serial port[1], you could also set up serial
16 > logging. Though using serial ports have become a bit of a lost art,
17 > the serial console code in the kernel is pretty carefully designed to
18 > be the last man standing when things start to die. It's possible
19 > (though I wouldn't say probable) that a serial console will be able to
20 > show you stuff closer to the event horizon than a network console can.
21 >
22 > Anyway, since still I'm in the serial port business (yes, there are
23 > still plenty of people using serial ports in industrial settings) I
24 > had to mention it...
25 >
26 > [1] For this purpose you want a plain old UART on the motherboard type
27 > seial port. You'd be surprised how many motherboards still have
28 > them. Even though they're never brought out to a DB9 connector on
29 > the back panel, there's often an 8-pin header on the edge of the
30 > board somewhere, so you'd need one of these:
31 >
32 > https://www.amazon.com/C2G-27550-Adapter-Bracket-Motherboards/dp/B0002J27R8/
36 Still having problems with the netconsole -- I am determined to get
37 this working,so let me explain a bit more.
38
39 The sending computer has two nics, eno1 for the internal network and
40 eno2 is on the internet. So, my netconsole stanza said
41 netconsole=@192.168.0.1/eno1,@192.168.0.2
42
43 The box which is at 192.168.0.2 has netcat (windows version) and I
44 tried the following:
45 netcat -u -v -l 192.168.0.2 6666 and I also tried 192.168.0.1 6666
46 which is the ip address of the linux console which I am trying to
47 debug.
48
49 I also tried 0.0.0.0 6666 which did not work either, but I think the
50 windows firewall was blocking, and I did fix that, but did not try the
51 0.0.0.0 after that.
52
53 So, what am I doing wrong here?
56 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
57 How do
58 you spend it?
59
60 John Covici wb2una