From: Benjamin Graf <bdgraf@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo update
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 19:53:18
1 so if the only danger is a crash, that's ok ! there is not really a
2 danger for the system.
3
4 Thanks !
5
6 Benjamin
7
8 2007/6/3, Michal 'vorner' Vaner <vorner@×××.cz>:
9 > Hello
10 >
11 > On Sun, Jun 03, 2007 at 08:59:53PM +0200, Benjamin Graf wrote:
12 > > I would like to know if there is a danger if I use a program during
13 > > its updating (when I run emerge -uD world for example).
14 >
15 > Theoretically, there could be (depends on the software) - some of its
16 > files could disappear, but the worst thing I can imagine is a crash of
17 > the program.
18 >
19 > Anyway, I did not notice any such problem and I do update while the
20 > computer is in use. It may be caused by the fact that the program is
21 > replaced quite fast - the only dangerous time could be when the new one
22 > is copied from sandbox to the real system.
23 >
24 > As for it - I would not dare it on a mission critical server, but
25 > anywhere else yes.
26 >
27 > --
28 > This message has optimized support for formating.
29 > Please choose green font and black background so it looks like it should.
30 >
31 > Michal 'vorner' Vaner
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list