From: Michal 'vorner' Vaner <vorner@×××.cz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo update
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 19:46:35
1 Hello
2
3 On Sun, Jun 03, 2007 at 08:59:53PM +0200, Benjamin Graf wrote:
4 > I would like to know if there is a danger if I use a program during
5 > its updating (when I run emerge -uD world for example).
6
7 Theoretically, there could be (depends on the software) - some of its
8 files could disappear, but the worst thing I can imagine is a crash of
9 the program.
10
11 Anyway, I did not notice any such problem and I do update while the
12 computer is in use. It may be caused by the fact that the program is
13 replaced quite fast - the only dangerous time could be when the new one
14 is copied from sandbox to the real system.
15
16 As for it - I would not dare it on a mission critical server, but
17 anywhere else yes.
20 This message has optimized support for formating.
21 Please choose green font and black background so it looks like it should.
22
23 Michal 'vorner' Vaner