From: Dudu Loschi <eddloschi@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE4: Constant crashes in conjunction with Konsole
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 04:00:11
1 2009/8/19 Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>:
2 > Hi guys,
3 >
4 > until now I've been quite a KDE4 hater, but I'm willing to give it a try from
5 > time to time. So I installed 4.3 parallel to my beloved 3.5.10 and was quite
6 > pleased with it. However, I have repeating crashes of my entire X. Mostly it
7 > happens when I open Konsole, the next often occasion is opening a menu (main
8 > menu, context menu, you name it), but also only after a Konsole windows was
9 > opened. All I see is a quick error message about glibc, then X restarts and
10 > I'm back at kdm.
11 >
12 > I use a laptop with a Geforce 7600 GPU, running on nvidia-drivers-180.60.
13 > First I had 4.3.0 installed from main portage tree, but I had a faint
14 > hope they would have fixed it by now, so I installed the live slot from
15 > kde-testing. I already had this issue with older version.
16 >
17 > Could anyone shed some light on this, please? One thing I can think of is to
18 > disable 3D effects, but they're working quite well and it's the same with
19 > *cough* Vista - they are the main reason for switching over from a previous
20 > version.
21 >
22 > TIA
23 > --
24 > Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
25 > What do you call a dead bee? - A was.
28 I've had this issue today with a new KDE 4.3.1 installation (actually
29 not so new, it was running fine for 4 days). I decided to track down
30 what was probably causing this issue since it apparently to came from
31 nowhere.
32 Well, after testing some configurations I realized that changing fonts
33 size (specially menu's font) could lead to this problem, but reverting
34 the size didn't solved.
35 Them I started changing xorg.conf and found an workaround: disable
36 BackingStore. I've tested several times and the crash never happened
37 with BackingStore off. And I actually turned it on yesterday, so at
38 least on my system that's the cause of the crash.
39 So if you are experiencing this and have BackingStore on, disable it.
40 If you don't have BackingStore enable try changing some other
41 configuration in xorg.conf, it may help.