From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Copying encrypted files from a DVD
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 16:43:50
1 On 2009-05-16, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 16 May 2009, at 16:56, Grant Edwards wrote:
4 >> On 2009-05-16, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5 >>>>
6 >>>>> Why don't you use the (very old, but still effective) dd [1]
7 >>>>> command to create an ISO image?
8 >>>> ...
9 >> I've tried it numerous times, and it's never worked for me.
10 >>
11 >>> It WILL make an exact copy of the DVD onto the drive (assuming DVD
12 >>> video, and no ARccOS [1]), it will just be an exact copy of the
13 >>> *encrypted* movie.
14 >>
15 >> It's never worked for me. I only get a fraction of the disk's
16 >> content followed by a lot of read/seek errors.
17 >
18 > That tends to indicate that you're using newer
19 > ARccOS-protected DVDs. I have few of these & very many more
20 > that are more than 5 years old. In this case I think you may
21 > have some success ripping using a newer SVN of mplayer (and
22 > the newer versions of dvdread dvdlib (??) which have been
23 > patched by the mplayer developers).
24
25 Yup. They've always worked fine with k9copy and xine (which
26 use libdvdread/libdvdcss/?).
29 Grant