From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Copying encrypted files from a DVD
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 16:30:53
1 On 16 May 2009, at 16:56, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2009-05-16, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >>>
4 >>>> Why don't you use the (very old, but still effective) dd [1]
5 >>>> command to create an ISO image?
6 >>> ...
7 > I've tried it numerous times, and it's never worked for me.
8 >
9 >> It WILL make an exact copy of the DVD onto the drive (assuming DVD
10 >> video, and no ARccOS [1]), it will just be an exact copy of the
11 >> *encrypted* movie.
12 >
13 > It's never worked for me. I only get a fraction of the disk's
14 > content followed by a lot of read/seek errors.
15
16 That tends to indicate that you're using newer ARccOS-protected DVDs.
17 I have few of these & very many more that are more than 5 years old.
18 In this case I think you may have some success ripping using a newer
19 SVN of mplayer (and the newer versions of dvdread dvdlib (??) which
20 have been patched by the mplayer developers).
21
22 Stroller.