From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Copying encrypted files from a DVD
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 15:57:24
1 On 2009-05-16, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 16 May 2009, at 15:56, Grant Edwards wrote:
4 >> On 2009-05-16, Ricardo Bevilacqua <rus.spes@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Why don't you use the (very old, but still effective) dd [1]
7 >>> command to create an ISO image?
8 >>
9 >> Because it won't work.
10 >>
11 >> Have you tried it with an encrypted DVD?
12 >
13 > It'll work fine & I do it all the time before I decrypt & rip DVDs.
14
15 I've tried it numerous times, and it's never worked for me.
16
17 > It WILL make an exact copy of the DVD onto the drive (assuming DVD
18 > video, and no ARccOS [1]), it will just be an exact copy of the
19 > *encrypted* movie.
20
21 It's never worked for me. I only get a fraction of the disk's
22 content followed by a lot of read/seek errors.
23
24 > It won't be playable without an additional decryption step
25 > (although mplayer can include this step automagically), but it
26 > will be an *exact* copy.
27
28 Not in my experience.
31 Grant