From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Copying encrypted files from a DVD
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 15:36:06
1 On 16 May 2009, at 15:56, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2009-05-16, Ricardo Bevilacqua <rus.spes@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Why don't you use the (very old, but still effective) dd [1]
5 >> command to create an ISO image?
6 >
7 > Because it won't work.
8 >
9 > Have you tried it with an encrypted DVD?
10
11 It'll work fine & I do it all the time before I decrypt & rip DVDs.
12
13 >> dd if=/dev/<your-dvd-device> of=<some-path>/bakup.iso bs=2048
14 >> conv=sync,notrunc
15 >>
16 >> That will make an exact copy of your DVD into your hard disk.
17 >
18 > No, it won't. Commercially sold audio and video DVDs are
19 > encrypted so the DVD drive can't read them unless you load a
20 > decryption key into the DVD drive. DVD players have keys built
21 > into them. There are software packages like DeCSS and
22 > libdvdcss that either have a built-in key or know how to figure
23 > one out.
24
25 It WILL make an exact copy of the DVD onto the drive (assuming DVD
26 video, and no ARccOS [1]), it will just be an exact copy of the
27 *encrypted* movie. It won't be playable without an additional
28 decryption step (although mplayer can include this step
29 automagically), but it will be an *exact* copy.
30
31 The OP is talking about DVD-audio, however. It is less clear to me
32 whether this is playable under Linux [2]. If it is then I would be
33 trying to rip it as some kind of playable audio - I agree with the
34 other comments (a point you're also obviously trying to get at) that
35 there's little point in storing an encrypted copy.
36
37 Stroller.
42 [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Video#Anti-ripping
43 [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Audio#Copy_protection