From: Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Copying encrypted files from a DVD
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 16:20:46
1 Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 > On 16 May 2009, at 15:56, Grant Edwards wrote:
5 > > On 2009-05-16, Ricardo Bevilacqua <rus.spes@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > >
7 > >> Why don't you use the (very old, but still effective) dd [1]
8 > >> command to create an ISO image?
9 > >
10 > > Because it won't work.
11 > >
12 > > Have you tried it with an encrypted DVD?
13 >
14 > It'll work fine & I do it all the time before I decrypt & rip DVDs.
15 >
16 > >> dd if=/dev/<your-dvd-device> of=<some-path>/bakup.iso bs=2048
17 > >> conv=sync,notrunc
18 > >>
19 > >> That will make an exact copy of your DVD into your hard disk.
20 > >
21 > > No, it won't. Commercially sold audio and video DVDs are
22 > > encrypted so the DVD drive can't read them unless you load a
23 > > decryption key into the DVD drive. DVD players have keys built
24 > > into them. There are software packages like DeCSS and
25 > > libdvdcss that either have a built-in key or know how to figure
26 > > one out.
27 >
28 > It WILL make an exact copy of the DVD onto the drive (assuming DVD
29 > video, and no ARccOS [1]), it will just be an exact copy of the
30 > *encrypted* movie. It won't be playable without an additional
31 > decryption step (although mplayer can include this step
32 > automagically), but it will be an *exact* copy.
33
34 Even with a DVD-Video, you will not be able to make a copy of the DVD
35 using dd if the DVD is using CSS.
36
37 The sectors that are carrying content from VOB files will not be redable before
38 you unlock the drive using e.g. dvdbackup.
39
40 Jörg
43 EMail:joerg@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
44 js@××××××××××××.de (uni)