From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Copying encrypted files from a DVD
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 16:42:39
1 On 16 May 2009, at 17:20, Joerg Schilling wrote:
2 >> ...
3 >> It WILL make an exact copy of the DVD onto the drive (assuming DVD
4 >> video, and no ARccOS [1]), it will just be an exact copy of the
5 >> *encrypted* movie. It won't be playable without an additional
6 >> decryption step (although mplayer can include this step
7 >> automagically), but it will be an *exact* copy.
8 >
9 > Even with a DVD-Video, you will not be able to make a copy of the DVD
10 > using dd if the DVD is using CSS.
11 >
12 > The sectors that are carrying content from VOB files will not be
13 > redable before
14 > you unlock the drive using e.g. dvdbackup.
15
16 I'm assuming you're talking about cross-region copies here? I.E. a
17 region 2 disk in a region 2 drive will still be clonable in this way?
18
19 Certainly I have copied disks using `dd` a number of times, PRIOR to
20 decryption / ripping. However I cannot state the drives' status for
21 sure - most of mine have region-free firmware applied as soon as I get
22 them.
23
24 Stroller.