From: Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Copying encrypted files from a DVD
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 16:46:46
1 Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 > On 16 May 2009, at 17:20, Joerg Schilling wrote:
5 > >> ...
6 > >> It WILL make an exact copy of the DVD onto the drive (assuming DVD
7 > >> video, and no ARccOS [1]), it will just be an exact copy of the
8 > >> *encrypted* movie. It won't be playable without an additional
9 > >> decryption step (although mplayer can include this step
10 > >> automagically), but it will be an *exact* copy.
11 > >
12 > > Even with a DVD-Video, you will not be able to make a copy of the DVD
13 > > using dd if the DVD is using CSS.
14 > >
15 > > The sectors that are carrying content from VOB files will not be
16 > > redable before
17 > > you unlock the drive using e.g. dvdbackup.
18 >
19 > I'm assuming you're talking about cross-region copies here? I.E. a
20 > region 2 disk in a region 2 drive will still be clonable in this way?
21
22 I cannot tell as I never set up a DVD-ROM drive for a CSS region.
23
24 > Certainly I have copied disks using `dd` a number of times, PRIOR to
25 > decryption / ripping. However I cannot state the drives' status for
26 > sure - most of mine have region-free firmware applied as soon as I get
27 > them.
28
29 There are still a lot of DVD-Video media that don't use CSS.
30
31 Jörg
34 EMail:joerg@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
35 js@××××××××××××.de (uni)