From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: problem with Fetchmail
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2020 00:58:56
1 On 2020.03.03 19:33, Philip Webb wrote:
2 > 200303 Jack wrote:
3 > > On 2020.03.03 02:54, Philip Webb wrote:
4 > >> However, my ISP is now sending me an e-mail every 5 min ,
5 > >> after Fetchmail checks for mail :
6 > >>
7 > >> From: "(Cron Daemon)" <purslow@***>
8 > >> To: purslow@***
9 > >> Subject: Cron <purslow@localhost> test -e /var/run/dhcpcd.pid &&
10 > >> /usr/bin/fetchmail -s 2> /dev/null
11 > >> fetchmail: Query status=2 (SOCKET)
12 > > Are you sure the message is coming from your ISP
13 > > and not locally generated, perhaps by cron ?
14 >
15 > Thanks, you're correct. 'man fetchmail' under 'EXIT CODES' says
16 >
17 > 2 An error was encountered when attempting to open a socket
18 > to retrieve mail. If you don't know what a socket is,
19 > don't worry about it -- just treat this as an 'unrecoverable
20 > error'.
21 > This error can also be because a protocol fetchmail wants to use
22 > is not listed in /etc/services.
23 >
24 > It looks like that latter, but 'services' has > 1100 lines .
25 > '.fetchmailrc' uses 'sslproto', but otherwise I don't know what it
26 > wants.
27 >
28 > The simple solution is to have Procmail treat these msgs as spam,
29 > but it wb nice to know just what service it's failing to find.
30 >
31 > Any suggestions ?
32 I can't help you with the actual protocol/fetchmail error, but there is
33 probably a cron configuration that might avoid sending such emails at
34 all - I don't know if it can be controlled at the level of individual
35 cron entries.
36
37 Can you try to run fetchmail manually, perhaps with increased verbosity
38 or debug output?