From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: ffmpeg "threads" parameter
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 01:18:31
1 On 03/28/2010 02:40 AM, 7v5w7go9ub0o wrote:
2 > Some ffmpeg-using applications (e.g. mplayer) allow you to pass numbers
3 > of threads (e.g. I use 6 on my Core-I7) to ffmpeg; others (e.g.
4 > chromium) do not.
5
6 First, mplayer uses its own bundled ffmpeg. It doesn't use
7 media-video/ffmpeg at all.
8
9 Furthermore, this is not what the "threads" USE flag does for ffmpeg.
10 Those applications that allow you to specify an amount of threads assume
11 you're using ffmpeg-mt instead of normal ffmpeg. ffmpeg-mt is a fork of
12 ffmpeg and is not in Portage because it's still considered non-stable
13 upstream.
14
15 There's an ebuild in Gentoo Bugzilla for ffmpeg-mt and an mplayer that
16 uses ffmpeg-mt as its bundled ffmpeg version. The mt mplayer ebuild can
17 also be found in the wirelay overlay (it's in layman.)