From: Tony Davison <tony.davison2@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Net / dhcp (miss)behaviour
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 13:51:39
1 On Saturday 19 January 2008 22:09:50 Marko Kocić wrote:
2 > > I wonder if my similar problem is related to what you report here: I am
3 > > using dhcpcd and ifplug with my ADSL router, which acts as the dhcp
4 > > server on my LAN. For some reason ifplug does not always manage to get
5 > > an IP address from the router and I end up with an APIPA address.
6 > > /etc/init.d/net.eth0 stop/start gets it going again. This problem only
7 > > occurs if I disconnect and then reconnect the ethernet cable. No such
8 > > problem exists when I boot the machine with the cable already connected
9 > > to the NIC. I haven't changed timeouts or anything else from the dhcpcd
10 > > defaults. I have always attributed this problem to a somewhat slow dhcp
11 > > server on the router.
12 >
13 > It is similar, with a difference that /etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart
14 > doesn't help. I tried
15 > enlarging timeout but with no help.
16 >
17 > > As a note: WinXP machines do not have any such problem. Even though
18 > > they may end up with a APIPA address, they will in minute or so drop it
19 > > and acquire a 10.10.10.XXX domain address from the router. dhcpcpd does
20 > > not seem to have this flexibility.
21 >
22 > I noticed that in most cases after I boot to windows, when I reboot
23 > back to linux I can't connect.
24 > When I reboot back to windows, net is up.
25 >
26 > When it fails I noticed that it send DHCP requests, but doesn't get a
27 > response.
28 >
29 > I tried dhclient, dhcpd and pump, and the results are allways the
30 > same. It happens in the evenings, when internet traffic is high.
31
32 Windows is not releasing the lease correctly, so the CM ignores request from
33 the same MAC address for a new leasr, workround is to reboot the cm whem you
34 reboot to gentoo.
35
36 This works in the UK YMMV elsewhere.
39 Tony Davison