From: "Marko Kocić" <marko.kocic@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Net / dhcp (miss)behaviour
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 22:10:23
1 > I wonder if my similar problem is related to what you report here: I am using
2 > dhcpcd and ifplug with my ADSL router, which acts as the dhcp server on my
3 > LAN. For some reason ifplug does not always manage to get an IP address from
4 > the router and I end up with an APIPA address. /etc/init.d/net.eth0
5 > stop/start gets it going again. This problem only occurs if I disconnect and
6 > then reconnect the ethernet cable. No such problem exists when I boot the
7 > machine with the cable already connected to the NIC. I haven't changed
8 > timeouts or anything else from the dhcpcd defaults. I have always attributed
9 > this problem to a somewhat slow dhcp server on the router.
10
11 It is similar, with a difference that /etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart
12 doesn't help. I tried
13 enlarging timeout but with no help.
16 > As a note: WinXP machines do not have any such problem. Even though they may
17 > end up with a APIPA address, they will in minute or so drop it and acquire a
18 > 10.10.10.XXX domain address from the router. dhcpcpd does not seem to have
19 > this flexibility.
20
21 I noticed that in most cases after I boot to windows, when I reboot
22 back to linux I can't connect.
23 When I reboot back to windows, net is up.
24
25 When it fails I noticed that it send DHCP requests, but doesn't get a response.
26
27 I tried dhclient, dhcpd and pump, and the results are allways the
28 same. It happens in the evenings, when internet traffic is high.
29 --
30 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list