From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Project:Installer
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2015 17:30:26
1 <wabenbau <at> gmail.com> writes:
5 > > I used to install and look after OpenSuse Desk and Laptops until
6 > > systemd showed it's ugly face. Now I install and look after several
7 > > Gentoo Xfce desktops and 3 OpenSuse Xfce Laptops. I use a Cut & Paste
8 > > script to install Gentoo on Desktops. The only manual parts are
9 > > booting a Gentoo USB stick, modifying hostname, ip address, user
10 > > names and partitioning. When completed. Wen done, log in as user and
11 > > set up email accounts and various eye candy.
12
13 Sounds reasonable. Wouldn't it be great if that was an automated semantic we
14 could all use?
17 > > OpenSuse install on laptop involves booting of a installation USB
18 > > stick, select Xfce Desktop, manually enter time zone, user name,
19 > > counry, hostname, ip address, Samba, login as user and and set up
20 > > email accounts and various eye candy.
21
22 > > I am to stupid to install and get Gentoo to work on Laptops.
23
24 Um, I disagree. The disk/bios/bootstrap issues are perverted by the
25 manufacturers, particularly on laptops, tablets and embedded devices
26 as to soot their business goals; hence on a laptop the preventative issues
27 are magnified. You are not alone in this struggle.
30 > > My "dream" would be to have the OpensSuse Yast installer and
31 > > administration gui to install, configure and maintain Gentoo on
32 > > Desktops and Laptops. This should be easy for a programmer whois
33 > > familiar with Ruby and C. The Yast installer and administration gui's
34 > > are nothing more than gui interfaced to various command line
35 > > utilities.
36
37 If it works, I'd use it, regardless of Yast. Maybe we can find
38 a person that knows Yast (Ruby and such) to hire to write a similar
39 installer for GEntoo? I'm not against hiring the right person to
40 write a gentoo installer:: as long as I get a BTRFS raid 1 base system
41 out of it. DONE DEAL! If anyone is interested, just drop me some
42 private email. It has to open sourced.....
45 > Yast was one of the reasons why I switched from SUSE to gentoo in 2003.
46 > IIRC one problem with Yast was that it used it's own configuration files
47 > and not the standard upstream configuration files of the installed
48 > packages. This sometimes made the manual configuration of packages very
49 > difficult for me, because the original package documentation refers to
50 > config files that I could not found on my SUSE system.
51 > Another caveat was that if one of the Yast config files was altered by
52 > hand, it was not possible to configure this file with Yast anymore.
53
54 > Of course in the beginning of my Linux experience (SuSE 4.2) I was happy
55 > that there was Yast because I came from OS/2 and it was a nightmare for
56 > me to configure Linux the first time, even with Yast. Without Yast
57 > I maybe would not use Linux today. Maybe Yast is better today, but in
58 > the past it was sometimes very frustrating.
61 OK, so we need an expert here. Any takers?
62 Make a few dollars and get famous for writing (hacking) a gentoo
63 installer for the gentoo-commoners?
64
65 Anyone?
66 James