From: Hans <linux@××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Project:Installer
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 11:19:53
1 On 27/07/15 03:29, James wrote:
2 > <wabenbau <at> gmail.com> writes:
6 >>> I used to install and look after OpenSuse Desk and Laptops until
7 >>> systemd showed it's ugly face. Now I install and look after
8 >>> several Gentoo Xfce desktops and 3 OpenSuse Xfce Laptops. I use a
9 >>> Cut & Paste script to install Gentoo on Desktops. The only manual
10 >>> parts are booting a Gentoo USB stick, modifying hostname, ip
11 >>> address, user names and partitioning. When completed. Wen done,
12 >>> log in as user and set up email accounts and various eye candy.
13 >
14 > Sounds reasonable. Wouldn't it be great if that was an automated
15 > semantic we could all use?
18 >>> OpenSuse install on laptop involves booting of a installation
19 >>> USB stick, select Xfce Desktop, manually enter time zone, user
20 >>> name, counry, hostname, ip address, Samba, login as user and and
21 >>> set up email accounts and various eye candy.
22 >
23 >>> I am to stupid to install and get Gentoo to work on Laptops.
24 >
25 > Um, I disagree. The disk/bios/bootstrap issues are perverted by the
26 > manufacturers, particularly on laptops, tablets and embedded devices
27 > as to soot their business goals; hence on a laptop the preventative
28 > issues are magnified. You are not alone in this struggle.
31 >>> My "dream" would be to have the OpensSuse Yast installer and
32 >>> administration gui to install, configure and maintain Gentoo on
33 >>> Desktops and Laptops. This should be easy for a programmer whois
34 >>> familiar with Ruby and C. The Yast installer and administration
35 >>> gui's are nothing more than gui interfaced to various command
36 >>> line utilities.
37 >
38 > If it works, I'd use it, regardless of Yast. Maybe we can find a
39 > person that knows Yast (Ruby and such) to hire to write a similar
40 > installer for GEntoo? I'm not against hiring the right person to
41 > write a gentoo installer:: as long as I get a BTRFS raid 1 base
42 > system out of it. DONE DEAL! If anyone is interested, just drop me
43 > some private email. It has to open sourced.....
46 >> Yast was one of the reasons why I switched from SUSE to gentoo in
47 >> 2003. IIRC one problem with Yast was that it used it's own
48 >> configuration files and not the standard upstream configuration
49 >> files of the installed packages. This sometimes made the manual
50 >> configuration of packages very difficult for me, because the
51 >> original package documentation refers to config files that I could
52 >> not found on my SUSE system. Another caveat was that if one of the
53 >> Yast config files was altered by hand, it was not possible to
54 >> configure this file with Yast anymore.
55 >
56 >> Of course in the beginning of my Linux experience (SuSE 4.2) I was
57 >> happy that there was Yast because I came from OS/2 and it was a
58 >> nightmare for me to configure Linux the first time, even with Yast.
59 >> Without Yast I maybe would not use Linux today. Maybe Yast is
60 >> better today, but in the past it was sometimes very frustrating.
63 > OK, so we need an expert here. Any takers? Make a few dollars and get
64 > famous for writing (hacking) a gentoo installer for the
65 > gentoo-commoners?
66 >
67 > Anyone? James
73 I don't really think that there is a requirement for Ruby. Today's Yast2
74 is simply a GUI like grsync that calls on command line utilities. This
75 can be done using the GTK C library. The Yast running in a terminal
76 appears to be a ncurses interface to the same command line utilities.
77
78 I could, with some help from a Bash coder, create a USB stick that runs
79 Gentoo and a Bash script to install Gentoo on a hard drive. I have about
80 80% done as Cut & Paste "script". My bottleneck is running fdisk and
81 feeding commands to fdisk from within a bash script.
82
83 Running Gentoo from a USB stick with Grub static is no problem if you
84 don't mind that its sloooow. I use 2TB USB drive with Gentoo Xfce
85 installed to back up my families Laptops. Plug in the USB drive. Power
86 on the Laptop, Login as Laptop-1. Click the Backup or Restore Icon to
87 start the required rsync session. Have lunch or surf the net.
88
89 Will make a image for a USB stick with or without Xfce if someone is
90 seriously interested. This USB stick require DHCP from a router for
91 networking and have only VGA video.