From: David Rosenbaum <rosenbaumd181@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 03:30:02
1 Dave
2
3 On Sat, Dec 17, 2022, 11:42 AM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4
5 > Mark Knecht wrote:
9 > On Sat, Dec 17, 2022 at 8:52 AM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
10 > >
11 > > Mark Knecht wrote:
15 > > On Fri, Dec 16, 2022 at 8:50 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
16 > >
17 > > > I
18 > > > wonder, could one install the LVM stuff and use that? That would be
19 > > > interesting. I wonder if there is a NAS software that uses LVM
20 > > > instead. Interesting thought. I just may go bug google on that one.
21 > o_O
22 > >
23 > > Maybe I'm missing the point but why would you want LVM on a
24 > > storage pool? If I'm doing backups I just want space. I let TrueNas
25 > > put it on disk and give it back if asked. Why put another layer
26 > > of indirection?
27 > >
28 > > If you're intending to use it as simple NAS - i.e. - the only copy
29 > > of some data on your network - then possibly LVM might
30 > > be interesting, but then you need a second TrueNAS box
31 > > to back that up. NAS as a mountable data location is
32 > > different than NAS doing backups which is what I thought
33 > > this thread was about. What am I not remembering?
34 > >
35 > > - Mark
38 > > It's more about me being more used to using LVM. Also, more used to
39 > Linux as well. BSD is not something I have much experience with and until
40 > recently, none with ZFS. Even the little experience I have with BSD was
41 > well over a decade ago, maybe two decades ago. I barely remember it really.
42 > >
43 > > By replacing ZFS with LVM, I'm working with something I'm familiar with
44 > and less likely to mess up things. Things get messed up enough without
45 > adding more confusion. ;-)
46 > >
47 > > Dale
48 > >
49 > > :-) :-)
50 >
51 > Hummm...I don't know Dale, I don't know... ZFS is a file system.
52 > LVM is an abstraction on top (or underneath?) of a file system.
53 > My understanding of LVM is that it frees you from hard decisions
54 > on partition sizes, not that it replaces ZFS or ext3/4/5.
57 > That is true. Thing is, I've learned how to manage LVM even with
58 > encrypted data. I've also learned how to expand storage without losing
59 > data or getting confused about what I'm doing. To me, using LVM is pretty
60 > easy given the notes I have for the tasks I do most often.
63 > You may or may not know this but TrueNAS is available as a
64 > Linux version:
65 >
66 > https://www.truenas.com/blog/first-release-of-truenas-on-linux/
67 >
68 > I don't recommend it. It's new. Let someone else figure it out. However
69 > it might be more to your liking, and because it's Linux you'd be more
70 > comfortable messing it up. ;0-
71 >
72 > WRT you I recommend that you try living in NGL for a while. Possibly
73 > you are just a bit too indoctrinated in the religion of building packages
74 > 30-50 times a year believing (without hard data) that it provides value.
75 > Instead you might just consider relaxing and letting the system
76 > take care of itself. In the last year I've only updated my TrueNAS box
77 > twice that I can remember.
78 >
79 > On the other hand if system tweaking is what brings you joy then
80 > Que Sera Sera .....
81 >
82 > Good luck,
83 > Mark
87 > It's not that I want to compile things, it's that I want to use things I'm
88 > already really familiar with. If I bought a Raspberry Pi and built a NAS
89 > with it, I don't care if I compile the software on it or not as long as it
90 > has the software I need or I can install what I need. From what I've read,
91 > compiling on a Raspberry isn't much fun. It's very time consuming. Having
92 > a OS, binary one at that, that is Linux based is a big plus. I can run
93 > LVM, cryptsetup and such in likely every Linux distro out there and get the
94 > same result as on my Gentoo box. Switching to BSD, using ZFS, means I have
95 > to learn a whole new set of tools and methods. I had enough fun learning
96 > LVM and I don't think LVM is going to die anytime soon. It should be
97 > around for the foreseeable future. As it is, even now, I still don't get
98 > how ZFS works. I just followed a guide to get it working, sort of. It's
99 > still not encrypted. Figuring that out is next. That should be fun.
100 >
101 > My network card is out for delivery. A few days late but better than
102 > never I guess. I'll see if the drivers needed for it are available as
103 > modules or not. I suspect they are tho based on info in this thread.
104 >
105 > Dale
106 >
108 >