From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 16:42:25
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
4 > On Sat, Dec 17, 2022 at 8:52 AM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com
5 > <mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>> wrote:
6 > >
7 > > Mark Knecht wrote:
11 > > On Fri, Dec 16, 2022 at 8:50 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com
12 > <mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>> wrote:
13 > >
14 > > > I
15 > > > wonder, could one install the LVM stuff and use that?  That would be
16 > > > interesting.  I wonder if there is a NAS software that uses LVM
17 > > > instead.  Interesting thought.  I just may go bug google on that
18 > one.  o_O
19 > >
20 > > Maybe I'm missing the point but why would you want LVM on a
21 > > storage pool? If I'm doing backups I just want space. I let TrueNas
22 > > put it on disk and give it back if asked. Why put another layer
23 > > of indirection?
24 > >
25 > > If you're intending to use it as simple NAS - i.e. - the only copy
26 > > of some data on your network - then possibly LVM might
27 > > be interesting, but then you need a second TrueNAS box
28 > > to back that up. NAS as a mountable data location is
29 > > different than NAS doing backups which is what I thought
30 > > this thread was about. What am I not remembering?
31 > >
32 > > - Mark
35 > > It's more about me being more used to using LVM.  Also, more used to
36 > Linux as well.  BSD is not something I have much experience with and
37 > until recently, none with ZFS.  Even the little experience I have with
38 > BSD was well over a decade ago, maybe two decades ago.  I barely
39 > remember it really.
40 > >
41 > > By replacing ZFS with LVM, I'm working with something I'm familiar
42 > with and less likely to mess up things.  Things get messed up enough
43 > without adding more confusion.  ;-)
44 > >
45 > > Dale
46 > >
47 > > :-)  :-)
48 >
49 > Hummm...I don't know Dale, I don't know... ZFS is a file system.
50 > LVM is an abstraction on top (or underneath?) of a file system.
51 > My understanding of LVM is that it frees you from hard decisions
52 > on partition sizes, not that it replaces ZFS or ext3/4/5.
55 That is true.  Thing is, I've learned how to manage LVM even with
56 encrypted data.  I've also learned how to expand storage without losing
57 data or getting confused about what I'm doing.  To me, using LVM is
58 pretty easy given the notes I have for the tasks I do most often.
61 > You may or may not know this but TrueNAS is available as a
62 > Linux version:
63 >
64 > https://www.truenas.com/blog/first-release-of-truenas-on-linux/
65 >
66 > I don't recommend it. It's new. Let someone else figure it out. However
67 > it might be more to your liking, and because it's Linux you'd be more
68 > comfortable messing it up. ;0-
69 >
70 > WRT you I recommend that you try living in NGL for a while. Possibly
71 > you are just a bit too indoctrinated in the religion of building packages
72 > 30-50 times a year believing (without hard data) that it provides value.
73 > Instead you might just consider relaxing and letting the system
74 > take care of itself. In the last year I've only updated my TrueNAS box
75 > twice that I can remember.
76 >
77 > On the other hand if system tweaking is what brings you joy then
78 > Que Sera Sera .....
79 >
80 > Good luck,
81 > Mark
84 It's not that I want to compile things, it's that I want to use things
85 I'm already really familiar with.  If I bought a Raspberry Pi and built
86 a NAS with it, I don't care if I compile the software on it or not as
87 long as it has the software I need or I can install what I need.  From
88 what I've read, compiling on a Raspberry isn't much fun.  It's very time
89 consuming. Having a OS, binary one at that, that is Linux based is a big
90 plus.  I can run LVM, cryptsetup and such in likely every Linux distro
91 out there and get the same result as on my Gentoo box.  Switching to
92 BSD, using ZFS, means I have to learn a whole new set of tools and
93 methods.  I had enough fun learning LVM and I don't think LVM is going
94 to die anytime soon.  It should be around for the foreseeable future.
95 As it is, even now, I still don't get how ZFS works.  I just followed a
96 guide to get it working, sort of.  It's still not encrypted.  Figuring
97 that out is next.  That should be fun.
98
99 My network card is out for delivery.  A few days late but better than
100 never I guess.  I'll see if the drivers needed for it are available as
101 modules or not.  I suspect they are tho based on info in this thread.
102
103 Dale
104