From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ath5k and laptop cpu frequency scaling
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 14:41:34
1 On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 7:20 AM, Vladimir Rusinov
2 <vladimir@×××××××××.info> wrote:
5 > On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 12:05 AM, Paul Hartman
6 > <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >>
8 >> I switched from madwifi-ng to ath5k when I switched from kernel 2.6.28
9 >> to 2.6.29 and my wifi speed is unusably slow when the CPU speed is
10 >> scaled down. I am talking about trying to ssh into my laptop taking
11 >> literally MINUTES to respond when it is running at 800MHz but being
12 >> instant when it is running at 2000MHz. If I am emerging or doing
13 >> anything to run the CPU, the wifi speed is fine. When I am
14 >> interactively using the laptop it's not as much of an issue because
15 >> the laptop itself is perfectly normal in its responsiveness, but the
16 >> wifi practically dies when the CPU slows down. I tried with cpudyn and
17 >> without (using kernel ondemand governor).
18 >>
19 >> Is anyone else using ath5k on a laptop and having this problem? I
20 >> don't know if it is the wifi driver, the kernel, or something else. I
21 >> did about 3 months worth of updates all at once, so that makes it a
22 >> nice big mess for isolating the cause. :)
23 >
24 > Hi.
25 >
26 > I'm using ath5k and kernel conservative governor and it everything work ok
27 > for me. Wireless is not very fast, but it seems it is hardware problem.
28 >
29 > gentoo-sources-2.6.28-r1
30
31 Okay, thanks for the info. My chipset is AR5414 and
32 gentoo-sources-2.6.29-r1. When I'm downloading and change governor to
33 performance I can see immediate wifi speed increase from 2KiB/s to
34 more than 1000KiB/s. But, even then, performance is bad and unreliable
35 compared to mafwifi-ng. I guess I should switch back. Maybe I'll ask
36 ath5k-users list first (but it seems dead).