From: Vladimir Rusinov <vladimir@×××××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ath5k and laptop cpu frequency scaling
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 12:20:29
1 On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 12:05 AM, Paul Hartman <
2 paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com <paul.hartman%2Bgentoo@×××××.com>> wrote:
3
4 > I switched from madwifi-ng to ath5k when I switched from kernel 2.6.28
5 > to 2.6.29 and my wifi speed is unusably slow when the CPU speed is
6 > scaled down. I am talking about trying to ssh into my laptop taking
7 > literally MINUTES to respond when it is running at 800MHz but being
8 > instant when it is running at 2000MHz. If I am emerging or doing
9 > anything to run the CPU, the wifi speed is fine. When I am
10 > interactively using the laptop it's not as much of an issue because
11 > the laptop itself is perfectly normal in its responsiveness, but the
12 > wifi practically dies when the CPU slows down. I tried with cpudyn and
13 > without (using kernel ondemand governor).
14 >
15 > Is anyone else using ath5k on a laptop and having this problem? I
16 > don't know if it is the wifi driver, the kernel, or something else. I
17 > did about 3 months worth of updates all at once, so that makes it a
18 > nice big mess for isolating the cause. :)
21 Hi.
22
23 I'm using ath5k and kernel conservative governor and it everything work ok
24 for me. Wireless is not very fast, but it seems it is hardware problem.
25
26 gentoo-sources-2.6.28-r1
29 Vladimir Rusinov
30 http://greenmice.info/