From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: Fighting bit rot
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 08:01:21
1 On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 08:27:51 +0100
2 Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > > This is a filesystem task, not a cronjab task. Use a filesystem that
5 > > does proper checksumming. ZFS does it, but that is of course
6 > > somewhat problematic on Linux. Check out the others, it will be
7 > > something modern you need, like ext4 maybe or btrfs
10 > AFAIK, ext4 only has checksums for its metadata. Even if the file
11 > system would support appropriate checksums out-of-the-box, I'd still
12 > need a tool to regularly read files and report on errors.
13 >
14 > As I said above, the point is that I need to detect the error as long
15 > as I still have a valid backup. Professional archive solutions do
16 > this on their own but I'm looking for something suitable for desktop
17 > usage.
18
19 rsync might be able to give you something close to what you want
20 easily
21
22 Use the -n switch for an rsync between your originals and the last
23 backup copy, and mail the output to yourself. Parse it looking for ">"
24 and "<" symbols and investigate why the file changed.
25
26 This strikes me as being a very easy solution that you could use
27 reliably with a suitable combination of options.
31 Alan McKinnon
32 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com