From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Major site redesign, SEO, and 301 redirects
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2015 07:36:10
1 On Friday 02 Oct 2015 00:00:08 Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Thu, Oct 01, 2015 at 03:35:48PM +0100, Mick wrote
3 >
4 > > PS. I hope someone will show them the door if they suggest designing
5 > > a new Flash based web interface ...
6 >
7 > Especially true given that Ipads/Iphones do not support Flash. Another
8 > major problem is websites that parse the user agent, and assume that any
9 > browser they don't recognize is a mobile device. It's a standing joke
10 > amongst geeks... see https://xkcd.com/869/ and https://xkcd.com/1174/
11 > Back in the day when "smartphones" only had 320x240 pixel screens, a
12 > separate mobile site may have been necessary.
13
14 I think the reason was that at the time we did not have CSS3 and responsive
15 web design was not available for the majority of CMS themes. Many web
16 designers were providing a separate generic style sheet for mobile browsers.
17 If for some reason the browser was not able to process the desktop style sheet
18 it would drop to the mobile style sheet. I am sure I have seen this happening
19 with Opera. With responsive design it is left to the device to resize the
20 layout elements, which is a relief for the web developers - they now only have
21 to sniff MSIE8 and friends and send to them a completely different (crippled)
22 layout that they are able to render. :-D
25 Regards,
26 Mick