From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Major site redesign, SEO, and 301 redirects
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2015 23:00:33
1 On Thu, Oct 01, 2015 at 03:35:48PM +0100, Mick wrote
2 >
3 > PS. I hope someone will show them the door if they suggest designing
4 > a new Flash based web interface ...
5
6 Especially true given that Ipads/Iphones do not support Flash. Another
7 major problem is websites that parse the user agent, and assume that any
8 browser they don't recognize is a mobile device. It's a standing joke
9 amongst geeks... see https://xkcd.com/869/ and https://xkcd.com/1174/
10 Back in the day when "smartphones" only had 320x240 pixel screens, a
11 separate mobile site may have been necessary. But not today with
12 pinch+zoom and smartphones/tablets with higher pixel counts than many
13 notebooks. And with the idiots at Mozilla going off the deep end, there
14 are multiple forks of Firefox out there (Seamonkey, Palemoon, etc), by
15 people who are disgusted with Firefox's insanity. A company that kicks
16 those browsers off their main website to a mobile site, or demands they
17 download an "app", will lose customers.
20 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
21 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications