From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Which SMART stats to watch (link)
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 03:38:59
1 On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 7:37 PM, Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > TFA doesn't mention drive vendors. Does "others" in the "fingering others"
4 > statement refer to other SMART metrics?
5
6 Backblaze published their vendor stats recently. Hitachi drives were
7 the best, followed by WD. Then WAY behind those two were Seagate. I
8 noticed that I own two of the drives that they claim they have a 15%
9 annual failure rate on - I just warranty replaced one of them so I'm
10 at about 50% right now on that model. :)
11
12 Unfortunately the WD drives are a considerable step-up in cost. Even
13 factoring in a 15% annual replacement rate on the Seagates after the
14 first 3 years (the warranty period I think) it will take a long time
15 for the WD drives to be cheaper, let alone the Hitachis (or whoever
16 they were sold to). I must have burned through a half-dozen warranty
17 replacements on my one system in the last 2-3 years - mostly Seagate.
18 Just another reason to use RAID/btrfs/zfs/etc.
21 Rich