From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Which SMART stats to watch (link)
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 00:37:42
1 I find the confirmation of the theory, and the actual response of vendor
2 implementations, useful. Using empirical evidence based on a significant
3 sample size achieves that. The alternative is to make the assumption that
4 the theory and the vendor implementation is correct, and I only do this
5 when i have no useful evidence to use for verification.
6
7 TFA doesn't mention drive vendors. Does "others" in the "fingering others"
8 statement refer to other SMART metrics?
9
10 I dont understand how recommending using some SMART metrics and not others
11 is anything to be suspicious of. How could manipulation of which metrics to
12 recommend help Blackblaze's business?