From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT - Why is Gentoo so slow when internet is out?
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 15:26:22
1 On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 09:27:23 -0500, Devon Miller wrote:
2
3 > > I saw somewhere in portage a daemon that manages
4 > > connection/disconnection from the network. I think it was for
5 > > laptops. But now I don't know what it is called or where it is in
6 > > portage.
7
8 > That would be ifplugd. It listens for a variety of state changes such as
9 > insertion of a pcmcia/cardbus/usb NIC or presense/absence of carrier on
10 > the ethernet device. When a device becomes available, it runs
11 > "/etc/init.d/net. device start" and when the device goes away/loses
12 > carrier, it runs "/etc/init.d/net.device stop".
13
14 I don't think ifplugd will help here. it only checks the link beat on the
15 ethernet connection. As long as the computer is connected to the cable
16 modem, it will report the link as up, even if the connection from the
17 modem to the Internet is down.
21 Neil Bothwick
22
23 I doubt therefore I might be.