From: Devon Miller <devon.c.miller@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT - Why is Gentoo so slow when internet is out?
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 14:33:52
1 On 11/28/05, Rob <europa100@×××××××.net> wrote:
4 > I saw somewhere in portage a daemon that manages
5 > connection/disconnection from the network. I think it was for laptops.
6 > But now I don't know what it is called or where it is in portage.
7 >
8 > I wonder if it would work?
9 >
10 > Rob.
13 That would be ifplugd. It listens for a variety of state changes such as
14 insertion of a pcmcia/cardbus/usb NIC or presense/absence of carrier on the
15 ethernet device. When a device becomes available, it runs "/etc/init.d/net.
16 device start" and when the device goes away/loses carrier, it runs
17 "/etc/init.d/net.device stop".
18
19 That should address the first of Michael's issues. I've not used
20 monodevelop, but as I recall from using VS.Net, it wants to talk to the
21 local webserver. Check what /usr/bin/hostname returns when your connected
22 and when you're offline. Make sure when you go offline it isn't still
23 returning something like foo.cablecompany.net. I have my machine's hostname
24 set in /etc/conf.d/hostname and hostname is in my boot run level.
25
26 -dcm-