From: JC Denton <jcdentonmail@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Settings for Fan
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 10:50:31
1 There is nothing in the path /proc/acpi/fan/ it is empty. Are there special modules I have to compile against the kernel?
2
3 Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org> schrieb: On 5/31/06, JC Denton wrote:
4 > Hi!
5 >
6 > This what I get:
7 >
8 > $ cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM0/trip_points
9 > critical (S5): 97 C
10 > passive: 95 C: tc1=5 tc2=4 tsp=600 devices=0xc14defa0
11
12 Ok, assuming I am reading /usr/src/linux/drivers/acpi/thermal.c
13 correctly, these mean your system will start throttling the CPU when
14 it reaches 95C, and shutdown at 97C. Unfortunately you do not have an
15 'active' mode that would allow you to set the temperature when the fan
16 turns on or off.
17
18 Unless you have something under /proc/acpi/fan, it looks like your fan
19 is controlled by either the hardware or the BIOS.
20
21 > $ cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM0/cooling_mode
22 >
23 > cooling mode: passive
24 >
25 > I am not used to this stuff yet. What does it mean?
26
27 It means that if the system gets too warm, all the OS can do about it
28 is to throttle the CPU. No fan control is available....
29
30 > Should I build the bios support in the kernel?
31
32 What do you mean? Do you mean APM support? If so, no, that almost
33 certainly will not help.
34
35 -Richard
36
37 PS. Please remember that sending html emails and top-posting are
38 generally considered bad-form on this list.
39 --
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
46 Telefonieren Sie ohne weitere Kosten mit Ihren Freunden von PC zu PC!
47 Jetzt Yahoo! Messenger installieren!