From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Settings for Fan
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 09:05:39
1 On 5/31/06, JC Denton <jcdentonmail@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > This what I get:
5 >
6 > $ cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM0/trip_points
7 > critical (S5): 97 C
8 > passive: 95 C: tc1=5 tc2=4 tsp=600 devices=0xc14defa0
9
10 Ok, assuming I am reading /usr/src/linux/drivers/acpi/thermal.c
11 correctly, these mean your system will start throttling the CPU when
12 it reaches 95C, and shutdown at 97C. Unfortunately you do not have an
13 'active' mode that would allow you to set the temperature when the fan
14 turns on or off.
15
16 Unless you have something under /proc/acpi/fan, it looks like your fan
17 is controlled by either the hardware or the BIOS.
18
19 > $ cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM0/cooling_mode
20 > <setting not supported>
21 > cooling mode: passive
22 >
23 > I am not used to this stuff yet. What does it mean?
24
25 It means that if the system gets too warm, all the OS can do about it
26 is to throttle the CPU. No fan control is available....
27
28 > Should I build the bios support in the kernel?
29
30 What do you mean? Do you mean APM support? If so, no, that almost
31 certainly will not help.
32
33 -Richard
34
35 PS. Please remember that sending html emails and top-posting are
36 generally considered bad-form on this list.
37 --
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list