From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: ALSA - Still No Sound
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2011 11:35:27
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Sunday 06 March 2011 09:28:39 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Mick wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On Saturday 26 February 2011 21:53:52 walt wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>> There is a very recent post from someone (Walter?) that says he got
9 >>>> audio only after compiling all the kernel sound features as modules,
10 >>>> but he has no idea why (nor do I) but, as no one yet has a better idea,
11 >>>> I'd try it as an experiment.
12 >>>>
13 >>> Because alsaconf needs to probe one module at a time and set its
14 >>> parameters.
15 >>>
16 >> Just to confuse things more, I have the same driver for my sound and I
17 >> build everything into my kernel and always have. The sound worked as
18 >> soon as I unmuted it.
19 >>
20 >> root@fireball / # cat /usr/src/linux/.config | grep REALTEK
21 >> CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_REALTEK=y
22 >> root@fireball / #
23 >>
24 >> Weird huh?
25 >>
26 > Like you, I used to build the lot into the kernel for years and it worked
27 > fine. Suddenly it stopped. With no other discernible changes at the time to
28 > blame for this I raised a bug. The devs recommended that I should build alsa
29 > as modules and that fixed the problem. I haven't yet tried to go back to
30 > building it all in the kernel to see if it would still work.
34 That makes it even more weird then. I update at least on each number
35 upgrade, 35, 36, 37 etc. I don't think I have ever missed a version. I
36 never had sound problems like this. Right now, I'm on this kernel:
37
38 root@fireball / # uname -r
39 2.6.37-gentoo-r1
40 root@fireball / #
41
42 I have to say tho, sound is one of those things that gets weird. Being
43 muted is a big thing people miss but it seems sound comes up pretty
44 often, about like video issues with drivers. It just makes me wonder.
45 I use the same chip, no problems. You have ran into problems in the
46 past and changing to modules fixed it. I have never used modules for
47 sound or anything else. What a head scratcher. :/
48
49 Just plain weird.
50
51 Dale