From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: ALSA - Still No Sound
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2011 11:01:33
1 On Sunday 06 March 2011 09:28:39 Dale wrote:
2 > Mick wrote:
3 > > On Saturday 26 February 2011 21:53:52 walt wrote:
4 > >> There is a very recent post from someone (Walter?) that says he got
5 > >> audio only after compiling all the kernel sound features as modules,
6 > >> but he has no idea why (nor do I) but, as no one yet has a better idea,
7 > >> I'd try it as an experiment.
8 > >
9 > > Because alsaconf needs to probe one module at a time and set its
10 > > parameters.
11 >
12 > Just to confuse things more, I have the same driver for my sound and I
13 > build everything into my kernel and always have. The sound worked as
14 > soon as I unmuted it.
15 >
16 > root@fireball / # cat /usr/src/linux/.config | grep REALTEK
17 > CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_REALTEK=y
18 > root@fireball / #
19 >
20 > Weird huh?
21
22 Like you, I used to build the lot into the kernel for years and it worked
23 fine. Suddenly it stopped. With no other discernible changes at the time to
24 blame for this I raised a bug. The devs recommended that I should build alsa
25 as modules and that fixed the problem. I haven't yet tried to go back to
26 building it all in the kernel to see if it would still work.
27 --
28 Regards,
29 Mick