From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Overclocked CPU killed motherboard and CD?
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 13:39:32
1 > > I received my RMAed motherboard back from MSI today, and although it
2 > > powered right on, the BIOS wouldn't post unless I disconnected the
3 > > CDROM drive and used a different CPU. I had been overclocking an
4 > > AMD64 X2 but luckily I had a Sempron to test with.
5 > >
6 > > Does this sound like a case of an overclocked CPU burning out and
7 > > taking a couple of devices with it, or is it more likely that the
8 > > motherboard died and took a couple devices with it, or something else?
9 >
10 > well, if it works (somehow) with a different cpu, the cpu might be dead. Or
11 > some parts of the energy 'department' of your mobo got overloaded, burnt out
12 > and now is only able to drive the mediocre requirements of the sempron.
13 >
14 > I would try the cpu in a different board.
15 >
16 > An oc'ed cpu needs a lot more power&generates a lot more heat. Both can damage
17 > the CPU AND the mobo (too much power might fry a regulator, or cook a cap).
18 > Or it might overload the PSU - and then everything is possible. A damaged
19 > mobo or psu can take a lot of stuff with it to hell.
20 >
21 > I hope you learnt your lesson: Overclocking is evil
22
23 I'll never overclock again. I'm realizing how much more important
24 reliability is compared to performance and low cost.
25
26 - Grant
27 --
28 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list