From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Overclocked CPU killed motherboard and CD?
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 09:25:39
1 On Mittwoch, 9. April 2008, Grant wrote:
2 > I received my RMAed motherboard back from MSI today, and although it
3 > powered right on, the BIOS wouldn't post unless I disconnected the
4 > CDROM drive and used a different CPU. I had been overclocking an
5 > AMD64 X2 but luckily I had a Sempron to test with.
6 >
7 > Does this sound like a case of an overclocked CPU burning out and
8 > taking a couple of devices with it, or is it more likely that the
9 > motherboard died and took a couple devices with it, or something else?
10
11 well, if it works (somehow) with a different cpu, the cpu might be dead. Or
12 some parts of the energy 'department' of your mobo got overloaded, burnt out
13 and now is only able to drive the mediocre requirements of the sempron.
14
15 I would try the cpu in a different board.
16
17 An oc'ed cpu needs a lot more power&generates a lot more heat. Both can damage
18 the CPU AND the mobo (too much power might fry a regulator, or cook a cap).
19 Or it might overload the PSU - and then everything is possible. A damaged
20 mobo or psu can take a lot of stuff with it to hell.
21
22 I hope you learnt your lesson: Overclocking is evil
23 --
24 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list