From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: openrc fails
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 18:36:19
1 covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >> walt wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> On 10/10/2010 03:17 AM, Stéphane Guedon wrote:
8 >>>
9 >>>> I have A problem on my gentoo server (but not my gentoo laptop, which is
10 >>>> bizzare as they together have the same release of system basic
11 >>>> packages !).
12 >>>>
13 >>>> At launching default runlevel, several services appear to be not
14 >>>> launched
15 >>>> whereas they are ! This concerns proftpd, mysql and console-kit (and all
16 >>>> services dependant of course).
17 >>>>
18 >>>> For exemple, when launching proftpd, openrc says :
19 >>>>
20 >>>> * Starting ProFTPD ...
21 >>>> * start-stop-daemon: /usr/sbin/proftpd is already running
22 >>>> [ !! ]
23 >>>> * ERROR: proftpd failed to start
24 >>>>
25 >>>> mysql :
26 >>>> * "/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid" is still present and the process
27 >>>> is running.
28 >>>> * Please stop it "kill 5478" maybe ?
29 >>>> [ !! ]
30 >>>> * ERROR: mysql failed to start
31 >>>>
32 >>>> I have set :
33 >>>> rc_parallel="NO"
34 >>>> rc_depend_strict="YES"
35 >>>>
36 >>>> Anyone have an idea where to start to solve the problem ?
37 >>>>
38 >>> When you stop the machine do you see any messages about services
39 >>> that fail
40 >>> to stop? Any reason to suspect that those *.pid files don't get deleted?
41 >>>
42 >>> You could try booting into single-user mode to see if those *.pid files
43 >>> really are still there from the previous session.
44 >>>
45 >>> Do the two machines run the same version of baselayout?
46 >>>
47 >>>
48 >> Does the zap option exist in openrc? That may get rid of the pid file too.
49 >>
50 >> Just a thought.
51 >>
52 > I wonder if he has something in two different runlevels because
53 > start-stop says something is already running, not just that the pid file
54 > is there.
58 Based on a post made later, it would appear that he has more pressing
59 issues. If it thinks the service is running after a reboot, there is
60 problems. On my rig, those directories are cleared during boot because
61 there can't be a service running right after the kernel loads. There
62 shouldn't be any started yet since it hasn't even got to a runlevel.
63
64 Your thoughts would be a logical one tho. If he has a service added to
65 both boot and default runlevels, then after it gets through the boot
66 level it will try to start the service a second time. You could be on
67 to at least one part of the problem. I'm not sure on the part after a
68 reboot tho.
69
70 Dale
71