From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: openrc fails
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 17:53:52
1 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > walt wrote:
4 > > On 10/10/2010 03:17 AM, Stéphane Guedon wrote:
5 > >> I have A problem on my gentoo server (but not my gentoo laptop, which is
6 > >> bizzare as they together have the same release of system basic
7 > >> packages !).
8 > >>
9 > >> At launching default runlevel, several services appear to be not
10 > >> launched
11 > >> whereas they are ! This concerns proftpd, mysql and console-kit (and all
12 > >> services dependant of course).
13 > >>
14 > >> For exemple, when launching proftpd, openrc says :
15 > >>
16 > >> * Starting ProFTPD ...
17 > >> * start-stop-daemon: /usr/sbin/proftpd is already running
18 > >> [ !! ]
19 > >> * ERROR: proftpd failed to start
20 > >>
21 > >> mysql :
22 > >> * "/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid" is still present and the process
23 > >> is running.
24 > >> * Please stop it "kill 5478" maybe ?
25 > >> [ !! ]
26 > >> * ERROR: mysql failed to start
27 > >>
28 > >> I have set :
29 > >> rc_parallel="NO"
30 > >> rc_depend_strict="YES"
31 > >>
32 > >> Anyone have an idea where to start to solve the problem ?
33 > >
34 > > When you stop the machine do you see any messages about services
35 > > that fail
36 > > to stop? Any reason to suspect that those *.pid files don't get deleted?
37 > >
38 > > You could try booting into single-user mode to see if those *.pid files
39 > > really are still there from the previous session.
40 > >
41 > > Do the two machines run the same version of baselayout?
44 > Does the zap option exist in openrc? That may get rid of the pid file too.
45 >
46 > Just a thought.
47 I wonder if he has something in two different runlevels because
48 start-stop says something is already running, not just that the pid file
49 is there.
52 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
53 How do
54 you spend it?
55
56 John Covici