From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo dead?
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 17:29:49
1 Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 4/22/20 11:22 AM, Caveman Al Toraboran wrote:
3 >> On Tuesday, April 21, 2020 11:01 PM, Consus <consus@××××.net> wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> Yeah, mgorny likes to do some provocative stuff like forking Portage.
6 >> patching P*****E is heretic, and forking it is
7 >> outright blasphemous.
8 >>
9 > For everyone complaining about how long emerge @world takes, and about
10 > the incomprehensible error messages -- this fork was a step towards
11 > fixing that. Portage does some slow, unpredictable, undocumented magic
12 > when resolving dependencies that it never should have done in the first
13 > place. Developers using portage then make commits that appear to work
14 > with portage, but won't work in any other PMS-compliant package manager,
15 > and often don't work in portage itself when given slightly different
16 > command-line options.
17 >
18 > Portage was forked because the current maintainers insist on leaving it
19 > broken to "avoid the phone calls." There are still problems, but this
20 > way people don't realize they're portage's fault.
25 Some may recall my thread about emerge only using one core when doing
26 it's build list.  As was discussed in that thread, it would be really
27 difficult to build that list in pretty much any language because it just
28 isn't set up to do that, the tree itself it seems.  While I'd like
29 emerge to be able to use more than one core, it may be faster but it
30 might also fall more often to which would waste more time than using
31 multiple cores would save.  In other words, a lot of work with little or
32 no benefit.
33
34 Didn't Firefox do this a couple years ago?  Start basically from scratch
35 and start over with new code?  I seem to recall them doing that so it
36 could use more than one core and other things.  It lead to all the
37 add-ons being redone as well.  I recall a lot of fussing about that.
38
39 While it would be nice, could it even be done?  Would it be easier to
40 just start over with a new tree, new emerge/portage commands and all?
41 Bigger question, who's the person with idiot stamped on their forehead
42 that would be willing to do all that without knowing it would even
43 work?  ROFL
44
45 These Gentoo dead threads get interesting pretty fast.
46
47 Dale
48