From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: I'm up, at long last!
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 06:00:31
1 On Tuesday 19 April 2011 04:35:09 Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 > On 2011-04-19, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> writes:
4 > >> I think there's really only two ways to install Linux: you either go the
5 > >> Ubuntu route, where everything's done for you and you accept somebody
6 > >> else's defaults, or you go with Gentoo, where you do everything
7 > >> yourself. I think anything in the middle, like Debian, just leads to
8 > >> confusion and uncertainty. I don't know where Fedora and SuSE fit into
9 > >> all this.
10 > >
11 > > Jumping into the asbestos drawers... the sterling things about Debian
12 > > are that it is more oldschool than ubuntu and its good for when you
13 > > get sick of compiling everything from scratch over and over.
14 > >
15 > > For some things, I don't care if I'm accepting someone elses' defaults.
16 > >
17 > > I've stuck with Gentoo for several yrs now for my main desktop and
18 > > would be very unwilling to switch for that usage, however, I prefer
19 > > Debian for virtual guests on windows. It just installs right off,
20 > > when you need a full linux OS in a bit of a hurry.
21 >
22 > I still think Debian installed too many things I don't use. When I
23 > need a Linux VM in a hurry, I'd go Arch. Some people worry about its
24 > unsigned packages, but as long as I stick to well-known mirrors, I
25 > should be okay.
26 >
27 > The beauty of Arch is that its installation is very granular; I can
28 > truly pick components I want to have, and leave out those I won't ever
29 > use.
30 >
31 > But if I *do* have the time, I'll always take the Gentoo-route :)
32
33 Perhaps I'll try Debian next time I'm in a rush. In the past I've run CentOS
34 and it was a relatively quick exercise to get it installed and running as a
35 webserver. However, I still ended up spending some time I hadn't budgeted for
36 shutting down (unnecessary) processes, uninstalling apps and what not.
37 --
38 Regards,
39 Mick